Academic Progress Committee (APC) Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I get free, independent and confidential advice on how to fill in the My Academic Progress Response form?

A: Contact Student Rights + Support. We provide hints + tips on how to complete a detailed response based on your personal circumstances.

Q: What if I am late to submit my response?
A: Late responses will be taken into consideration by your faculty to decide on support or interventions. For level 3 students who have an APC hearing, your late response will be considered by the panel, however, you are deemed a ‘late responder’. 

Q: What is a compulsory course requirement?
A requirement stated by your faculty which must be successfully completed as part of your course. This includes successful completion of placement units, specified vaccinations, a certificate required for vocational registration (such as a Working with Children Check), successful completion of LANTITE or successful completion of a fitness test. For more information click here

Q: Is it okay that I do not have supporting documents?
You do not need supporting documents if you believe they will be of no relevance to your circumstances. 

Q: What is a Statutory Declaration? 
A written statement which you sign and declare to be true before an authorised witness. Click here for more information.

Q: What should I do if my supporting documents are not written in English? 
You will need to get the documents translated into English by an accredited translator who will stamp and sign the translated document. You must send both documents with your My Academic Progress Response form. 

Q: What should I do if I receive my supporting documents after the response due date?
You must submit your My Academic Progress Response form by the due date. As soon as you receive your supporting documents email them to the address stated in the Notice of Unsatisfactory Progress email.

Q: What should I do if I do not want to email my supporting documents due to privacy concerns?
You should contact Monash Connect to find out how to send your documents so your privacy is protected. 

Q: What does it mean to discontinue my course?
This means that you have chosen to withdraw from your course and will cease to be enrolled at Monash University. 

Q: If I discontinue my course do I still need to attend a hearing?
If you discontinue your course the APC process stops and you will no longer be a student at Monash University, so you will not be required to attend a hearing. 

Q: How do I discontinue my course?

  1. Tick the appropriate box on the My Academic Progress Response form
  2. Contact Monash Connect to discuss your option to discontinue your course
  3. Complete and submit the appropriate form provided by Monash Connect OR you can discontinue your course at an APC hearing.

Q: What is an alternative exit?
An alternative exit is an official exit from an award course that is different from the course you enrolled in. Your faculty will inform you at an APC hearing if you are eligible for an alternative exit. To be fully prepared we suggest you contact Monash Connect before your hearing date to see if you are eligible for an alternative exit.

Q: What is a course transfer?
A course transfer is an opportunity to transfer from one course to another. For instance, transferring from a double degree to a single degree. Contact your faculty to see if you are eligible for a course transfer. Click here for more information.

Q: When will I find out if I need to attend a hearing?
Your faculty will email you. Keep checking your University email account from January-April and from July–October.


Q: What should I do if I receive an email informing me that I have to attend a hearing?

A: You have 3 days to respond to the email to indicate that you will attend the hearing. If you do not respond you may not be allowed into your hearing. 


Q: Is it a good idea to attend a hearing?

A: We highly recommend that you attend your hearing because it is your opportunity to explain to the panel your plan for achieving satisfactory progress in the next semester.  

Q: Is the hearing confidential? 

Q: How do I arrange for a Student Rights Officer (SRO) to support me at my hearing?
Contact MONSU SR+S (see below). When completing My Academic Progress Response, tick the appropriate section indicating you give permission for your file to be sent to SR+S and we will organise the SRO to support you at your hearing. 

Q: Can I object to a hearing panel member?
You can object to any panel member on the grounds of actual bias or reasonable perception of bias. You must submit your reasons for the objection to the executive officer within four working days of receiving the hearing notice. You will be informed of the outcome of the objection at least two working days before the hearing.

Q: What does exclusion mean? 
This means the University has decided that you are not permitted to continue your course and you will cease to be enrolled at Monash University. 

Q: If I receive a NoUP level 3, will I be excluded?
You can only be excluded at an APC hearing. Not all students are excluded at hearings. 

Q: Can I appeal an exclusion? 
There are limited grounds for appeal and strict deadlines. Contact MONSU SR+S for advice and support. (refer to our Academic Progress: Exclusion + Appeals flyer


For further questions and advice: 

MONSU Caulfield Student Rights + Support 
P: +61 3 9903 2596


MONSU Caulfield


MONSU Caulfield
Level 2, Building S
2 Princes Avenue
Caulfield East 3145
P. +61 3 9903 2525

The Workshop

Mon-Fri. 9:30am-5:00pm
Exams Mon-Fri. 9:30am-3:00pm
Non Sem Tue+Thur. 10:00am-12:00pm
P. +61 3 9903 2525