The Tax Help program will be back for Caulfield Students in July 2022! This service is available to any Monash Caulfield student who needs help lodging their tax return.

Opening July 1st, the service is run by ATO-trained and accredited students in the MONSU Crew, who provide a free and confidential service to help you complete your tax returns online using myTax. If the Tax Help Crew works out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgement advice. The Tax Help program is open until the 31st of October.

First things first... Please make sure you have a account that is linked to the ATO before you make an appointment with our MONSU Tax Help Centre.

If you can no longer attend your booked appointment, please send an email to

If your appointment is face-to-face, please ensure you show up to your appointment 10 mins early. Do not show up halfway through your appointment, this will not allow your Tax Helper enough time to help with your lodgement.

If your appointment is online, your Tax Helper will send you the meeting link just before your appointment.



How do I book an appointment?

Please ensure you book your appointment using your Monash student email address, at least 48 hours prior to appointment time. 


Remember to bring these to your appointment:

  • your myGov user ID and password (to utilise the Tax Help service you will need to have a myGov account linked to the ATO)
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • your tax file number
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years (the assessment needs to have been issued before 31st May this year)
  • income statements from all sources
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses).
  • if you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate

Helpful Information from the ATO



Clients MONSU Tax Helpers can help

We can only help clients with an income of around $60,000 or less who have simple tax returns and claims.
Some clients may include (but are not limited to):

  • a student with casual employment
  • a young person who has just started their first full-time job
  • a new migrant to Australia
  • a person who speaks little or no English
  • an international student
  • a backpacker with a working holiday visa
  • a salary or wage earner
  • a person earning superannuation or dividend income
  • a person receiving income from Centrelink
  • a person with a disability.

Regardless of their situation, Tax Help clients all have one thing in common – the need for help with their tax return. Most will require help with both the tax information they need to enter into the tax return and with online lodgment. We are able to be flexible when it comes to the income threshold. For example, if a client has a little over $60,000 we can still help you.


Clients MONSU Tax Helpers can't help

Some areas of the tax return can be quite complex so the Tax Help program is limited only to those clients with simple tax affairs.

MONSU Tax Helpers can't help clients if they:

  • ran their own business or uses an Australian business number (ABN)
  • operated under a labour hire agreement quoting their ABN
  • received any royalties
  • received income from either a public unit trust or a public trading trust
  • owned or shared ownership in a rental property
  • made a capital gain or capital loss by selling shares or other capital assets
  • received any foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity
  • has income from an employee share scheme.

Our Tax Help centre will ensure that appointments are only made for clients who are within the scope of the program. If clients have more complex tax matters they should be encouraged to seek advice from us or a tax agent. You can also access the National Tax Clinic program.

Book an Appointment.

MONSU Caulfield


MONSU Caulfield
Level 2, Building S
2 Princes Avenue
Caulfield East 3145
P. +61 3 9903 2525

The Workshop

Mon-Fri. 9:30am-5:00pm
Exams Mon-Fri. 9:30am-3:00pm
Non Sem Tue+Thur. 10:00am-12:00pm
P. +61 3 9903 2525