Are you eligible for a refund or reversal of debt for a failed unit?

Remission Of Debt
If you discontinue a unit after the census date or you don’t pass the unit requirements, you may be eligible for a refund of fees or your loan debt cancelled.

Are you eligible? 
You can only apply if you meet all four conditions:

  • Special circumstances exist
  • You did not complete the requirements to pass the unit
  • The unit forms part of your course of study
  • Your application is made within the deadlines

Special Circumstances
To be eligible, you will need to show that your circumstances:

  • Were beyond your control;

  • Did not make their full impact until the census date or after; and

  • Made it impracticable for you to complete the unit requirements during the teaching period


Special circumstances may include: 

  • Medical circumstances—illness occurring or worsening after the census date
  • Family/personal circumstances —death, illness, an unexpected or severe change in financial situation 
  • Employment-related circumstances— unemployment or change of hours so that you are unable to continue study
  • Course-related circumstances—Monash has changed the unit and you cannot complete the unit 

- Inability to complete necessary private study, attend sufficient lectures/ tutorials or meet attendance hurdles

- Inability to complete assignments 

- Inability to sit exams

Supporting Documents
You need to attach documents to support your application. Examples include a statement from a doctor, counsellor, or employer.

Supporting documents should clearly explain:

  • The circumstances
  • How they were beyond your control
  • When they occurred
  • Why you were prevented from completing unit requirements 

How do I apply? 
You can find the application form here.

Applications must be submitted within 12 months of the unit's discontinuation date or within 12 months of the last day of the unit’s teaching period. You must provide appropriate supporting documentation.

You should be advised of the outcome in writing within 20 University working days. If your application is not approved, you are able to request a review. 

Refund of Fees
You may be able to get a refund if you:

  • Overpay your course fees

  • Have a credit for an approved discount on course fees

  • Change your enrolment (e.g.: drop units, discontinue, finish your thesis) before the census date

  • Are an international research student withdrawing from your research program within four weeks of starting.

You can apply online here.


For further questions and advice: 

MONSU Caulfield Student Rights + Support 
P: +61 3 9903 2596


MONSU Caulfield


MONSU Caulfield
Level 2, Building S
2 Princes Avenue
Caulfield East 3145
P. +61 3 9903 2525

The Workshop

Mon-Fri. 9:30am-5:00pm
Exams Mon-Fri. 9:30am-3:00pm
Non Sem Tue+Thur. 10:00am-12:00pm
P. +61 3 9903 2525